How to study & gain student residence in Croatia: Guide for 2024

updated on
February 9, 2024
How to study & gain student residence in Croatia: Guide for 2024

Countless individuals in Croatia are illustrious of the country's lengthy and distinguished academic history.

Several of the country's universities have been around for more than a century.
Ten public and two private universities, 15 polytechnics, and 24 colleges of applied sciences make up Croatia's higher education industry.

Croatia is a participant in the Bologna Process that underpins the planning of all opportunities for education in Croatia.

Globally, any student can attend a Croatian university, not just those who speak the language fluently or are initially from the country.
There are various educational options for foreign students who don't speak Croatian and don't plan on learning the language soon.

Higher institutes of learning in Croatia

There are three categories of institutions of higher learning in Croatia:

• Universities
• Colleges of applied sciences
• Polytechnics

Financial support and scholarships

Each higher learning institution sets tuition prices for study programs. Tuition prices vary according to the study program and length. The tuition costs charged to foreign students vary according to the institution of higher learning.

Annual tuition estimates for various degree programs are shown below:

• 1,100€ – 10,400€  for humanities and social sciences
• 1,000€ – 6,000€  for Natural and technological sciences
• 10,000€ – 12,000€ for medical study

Fees for additional applications vary between  60 and 300 euros

Foreign students may apply for a variety of scholarships via programs such as Erasmus+ and CEEPUS.

At the moment, a large percentage of Croatian institutions of higher education do not provide foreign students scholarships or financial help. Nevertheless, some may give foreign students financial support or a partial tuition waiver.

The scholarships are made available via bilateral and university-level agreements and through schemes such as Erasmus and CEEPUS operated by the Directorate for Mobility and through European Union initiatives.

Student exchange programs for international students

One of Croatia's central agencies for student exchange is the Agency for Mobility and EU Program (AMEUP).

Their most important projects are listed below.

1. The Erasmus+ program

To participate in the Erasmus+ program, individuals who are enrolled in an institution of higher education outside of Croatia are allowed to spend one to two semesters in Croatia.
These programs' benefits include student internships, study travel, virtual travel, and a hybrid.

In order f Erasmus+ programs to be conducted, both the sender and receiver institutions must agree on the terms.

2. NATO's European Expeditionary Force

Volunteering in initiatives outside of one's own country is possible through the European Solidarity Corps.

3. The Central European Exchange Program for University Studies(CEEPUS)

An essential component is bringing together colleges from three continents to collaborate on joint programs.

Students from the following countries are eligible for this program:  

This includes Albania, Bosnia,  Austria, Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Moldavia, Czech Republic,  Czech Republic, Croatia, Hungary, and Montenegro.

Student mobility programs beyond the CEEPUS network are available to students from states not included in this list.

Financial Sustainment

To study at Croatian institutions of higher learning, overseas students must demonstrate that they have the funds to support themselves throughout their time in Croatia, either via personal savings or scholarships. Scholarships for students might be authorized in their native countries or abroad.

They must have monthly financial resources equal to the 25 percent on average of the preceding year's average monthly pay. You must have return money equivalent to 60 percent of your typical monthly earnings for the prior year.

To establish financial resources from sources such as family, you may demonstrate that these monies are held in a foreign or Croatian bank account.

Students from outside the European Union are permitted to work in Croatia via the Student Service,  operated by the Studentski center (Student Center).

Requirements for studying in Croatia

Croatia acknowledges two categories of qualifications: Academic and Professional

Academic recognition is intended for those interested in furthering their studies in Croatia. Professional recognition is designed for persons seeking a job in Croatia after their studies.

All institutes of higher learning that accommodate overseas students often have a separate office devoted to dealing with foreign applicants. Aspirants should consult this office at their chosen college well before applying to ensure they meet all admission criteria.

If students receive a degree in Croatia, they must ascertain if their degree will be accepted in the nation they wish to reside and work in after graduating.

If English is not your native language, you will need to demonstrate sufficient English language abilities to succeed in your studies.

EU citizen eligibility to study in Croatia

Full-time students from European Union countries have the same right to study as students from the Republic of Croatia, which implies that they must pay the same tuition as Croatian students to be eligible to study. Accredited EU students, such as Croatian students, have subsidized meals as part of their education.

In addition, it's important to remember that EU members, including Croatians, have the right to live and work in any member of the European Union. Because of this privilege, they are not required to apply for a residence permit based on their educational qualifications.

As an alternative, people may submit an application based on their status as an EU citizen, which is a far easier process with more significant advantages.

Non-EU citizen eligibility to study in Croatia

Non-EU nationals are permitted to enroll in Croatian institutions, although they must pay the tuition fees determined by the institution. Student housing is only available to those enrolled in high school, university, or participating in an internship program.

Students may also participate in student exchange programs in Croatia if they so want.

Accommodations for students attending Croaticum or related language programs are not provided. If you wish to participate in this kind of program, you must first apply for residence for "other aims."

Getting a student residence card and permit

Overseas students are not permitted to enroll in studies at a Croatian institution unless they have obtained a temporary residency permit from the Croatian authorities.
The request for a residence visa in Croatia is dependent on the length of time you will be studying in the country.

Citizens of countries requiring a visa to visit Croatia should file for student residence abroad before arriving.

Once they have been given permission, they should file for a D visa to enter Croatia.
Both applications should be filed to the Republic of Croatia's diplomatic post or consulate in your area.

The following are the measures to take to receive a residence visa in Croatia based on a study abroad experience.

Enroll in a program that has been authorised.
International students must first be granted student status in Croatia before beginning the application process for a residence visa.

Students from other countries may apply for one of the following student statuses:

•Undergraduate, graduate, or a postgraduate student pursuing any degree course.
•Exchange students through Erasmus+ and CEEPUS  programs.
•Student for a temporary basis, Free-movers or  Short-term study

The admissions procedures differ depending on the applicant's position and program. If you want to apply for a study program in Croatian, you must submit your application directly to the university.

Bear in mind that specific Croatian programs need an understanding of the Croatian language at the B2 tier, in which case you will be required to pass a test before enrolling.

Colleges may have differing criteria if you wish to choose a program conducted in English or another foreign language.
It is crucial to get in touch with the individual institution to find out the most recent criteria.

Gather all of the necessary documents.

To apply for a student housing permit, you must include the following information:

•Completed application - this may be obtained from the police or downloaded online.
•Passport picture 35 x 45 mm Valid passport and if it is not in English, a copy must be officially interpreted

• Evidence of a safe place to live
• Evidence of health insurance
• Evidence of adequate income to maintain oneself
• Acceptance into a Croatian higher education institution as evidence of enrolment

Administration costs

There is a 500 kuna fee for a student housing permit.

Non-EU students who have won scholarships from the Agency for Mobility and EU Programs can avoid this tax. Still, they must pay the 240 kuna cost to issue their residence card and the 70 kuna duty stamp fee for receiving their residency cards.

In most cases, a student's residence permit is valid for one school year. A full-time student in Croatia must reapply for a license every year. Apply for your subsequent permit at least 30 days ahead of time, if not more (but up to 60 days in advance is recommended).

Fill out the application for a short-term resident visa.

So long as you've obtained all of the required paperwork, you're ready to apply for temporary residency.

There are three places you can submit your application: a diplomatic mission or consulate in the home country of the foreign national; an administrative police department in the jurisdiction where you plan to study; or a diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in the foreign national's home country.

Before traveling to Croatia, students should apply for a student visa at their local Croatian diplomatic mission or consulate.

Short-term visitors to Croatia should apply to the local police department or police station as soon as possible.

Terms and conditions of long-term residence

Currently,  student housing counts as half of the permanent residency requirements.

The statute states:

Only half of the time spent based on official temporary residence for the study is counted for a third-country national granted temporary residency during the period necessary to approve long-term home as described in Article 150, paragraph 1 of this Act.

Is it possible for your family to accompany you to Croatia?

Your parents and siblings may not join you in Croatia for two years if you have been admitted to a Croatian institution and granted a residence visa.

Croatia allows minors to bring their parents to study in the country.
A "Family Reunification" residence application might be submitted in this circumstance.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
arrow up icon
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our Privacy Policy for more information.